Nothing sucks more than to really want to play a game and find out that you simply aren’t old enough to participate. Parents looking to get their children into the hobby should know the legality in regards to purchasing age limits, as well as field requirements before signing their kids up to start.
Collectively, we’ve played hundreds of airsoft games. Let us use our years of experience to help guide you through this.
How old should you be to play airsoft? Keep reading and find out.
What is airsoft?
Airsoft is a sport in which players participate in a simulated combat using replica firearms that shoot spherical plastic pellets (known as BB’s). These pellets are non-lethal, and typically do not cause injury at close range. The game is typically played in outdoor environments, such as woods or abandoned buildings, and can involve teams or individuals.
Airsoft is popular in many countries and has a dedicated following of enthusiasts who participate in organized events and competitions.
Legal age restrictions
The legal age for playing airsoft varies by country and region. In the United States, there is no federal law regulating the minimum age for playing airsoft, but some states and municipalities may have their own regulations.
It is always important to check the local laws in your area before participating in airsoft to ensure compliance with all applicable regulations.
Laws on airsoft for kids?
Once again, the laws on airsoft for kids vary from country and region. Most of the time, kids are free to play with airsoft guns on private property.
In California, it is illegal for anyone under 18 to purchase an airsoft gun, and in New York City, it is illegal for anyone under 16 to possess an airsoft gun in public. In the UK, it is illegal for any person under the age of 18 to purchase or hire an airsoft gun and it is illegal for anyone under 14 to possess an airsoft gun in public.
It’s important to check if the location where the child plays airsoft is appropriate, and if not, find a location that allows children to play safely. Remember, field play in the woods is potentially dangerous as anyone walking by can think the airsoft guns are real.
What rules do airsoft fields enforce to keep kids safe?
Airsoft fields generally enforce a variety of rules to keep kids safe while playing. Some of these rules may include:
- Age restrictions: Many airsoft fields have a minimum age requirement for players, such as 14 or 16 years old. This is to ensure that children are mature enough to understand and follow the rules of the game and safety guidelines. Usually, a waiver will need to be signed by the parents before the kids participate.
- Protective gear: Players, especially children, are typically required to wear protective gear, such as goggles or face masks, to prevent eye and facial injuries.
- Safety briefings: Before each game, players, including children, are given a safety briefing to ensure that they understand the rules of the game and how to safely handle their equipment.
- Velocity limits: Airsoft fields often have limits on the velocity at which the BB’s can be shot, in order to reduce the risk of injury. This can be controlled by using a chronograph, to measure the speed of the BB. Most indoor fields have a 350 FPS limit using .20g BB’s while outdoor fields have a 400 FPS limit using the same BB’s.
- Supervision: Many airsoft fields require that children be supervised by an adult while playing, to ensure that they are following the rules and staying safe.
- Proper behavior: Airsoft fields may enforce strict rules on behavior, such as no physical contact and no unsportsmanlike conduct, to ensure a safe and enjoyable experience for all players.
It’s important to note that these rules may vary depending on the specific airsoft field, and it’s always a good idea to check with the field management and read their rules before participating in airsoft, especially for children.
When is an appropriate age to start airsoft?
The appropriate age to start playing airsoft can vary depending on the child’s maturity level and their ability to understand and follow the rules of the game and safety guidelines.
At the minimum, kids thinking about starting airsoft should be able to:
- Listen and adhere to instructions
- Be of strong moral character
- Be able to follow all firearm safety rules
- Understand how guns are perceived by others
It’s also important to note that airsoft is a simulated combat game, and it’s important for children to understand that while it’s not real, the use of airsoft guns should be taken seriously.
Why 13 is considered a good age to start airsoft
While children are capable of demonstrating good behavior, reasoning, and self-control at the age of eight, it sometimes takes a few more years for enough maturity to set in before firearms, and their airsoft replicas, are introduced. Nonetheless, some sources cite that six, seven, or eight year olds can already taught the importance of firearm safety on a BB gun.
How old do you have to be to own an airsoft gun?
As mentioned earlier, it varies from state to state.
I can speak specifically for California, and that is you need to be 18 or older to purchase an airsoft gun.
What is some safety gear everyone should own regardless of age?
We wrote an entire article on a beginner’s guide to safety equipment, you should check it out.
Safety gear is an important aspect of airsoft and it’s essential to wear appropriate gear to prevent injuries. Here is a list of some safety gear that everyone should own regardless of age:
- Goggles or a full face mask: This is the most important piece of safety gear as it protects the eyes and face from pellets. It’s mandatory to wear goggles or a full face mask on most airsoft fields.
- Gloves: wearing gloves can provide protection to the hands from scrapes and cuts, and also provide better grip on the airsoft gun.
- Chest protector: This gear can help to protect the chest and upper body from impacts of pellets.
- Knee and elbow pads: These pads can help to protect the joints from impact and abrasions.
- Mouthguard: This gear can protect the teeth and jaw from impacts and collisions.
- Proper clothing: Wearing appropriate clothing such as long-sleeved shirts and pants can help to protect the skin from scratches and cuts.
It’s important to note that these safety gears may vary depending on the type of airsoft game you’re playing and the location where you’re playing, it’s always recommended to check with the field management and read their rules before playing.
What is the average age of airsofters?
It’s worth noting that airsoft is a sport that can be enjoyed by all ages, provided the proper safety measures are in place.
Is airsoft safe?
Airsoft guns shoot small plastic pellets at high velocities, so it’s important to wear appropriate safety gear such as goggles or a full-face mask, gloves, chest protector, knee and elbow pads, and a mouthguard to protect against eye, face, and body injuries.
It’s also important to follow the rules of the game and the safety guidelines set by the field or event organizer. This includes not shooting at people from close range, not shooting at hard surfaces or vehicles, and not shooting at pets or wild animals.
Properly maintaining and handling airsoft guns is also crucial for safety.
It’s important to read and follow the manufacturer’s instructions when handling an airsoft gun and to always treat an airsoft gun as if it were a real